Wednesday, October 1, 2014

September Art Challenge: The Result

Hello.
Here it is, October 1st and I know you are all eagerly awaiting the final reveal of my art challenge.
Well.
I didn't finish exactly what I set out to do. I wanted to do 3 series of work, with 10-15 portfolio pieces for my website. That may have been a bit ambitious.  I did not get that done sadly.
However, my project headed in a different direction and I am getting pretty excited about it. I think I told you in my last post that I got a lot of good feedback on my bullying pieces. Well, I've decided to take the plunge and make it a full length children's story. This will be my first time doing something like this, completely without words, and in a new style!
I did finish another set of sketches; however, they aren't quite ready to share. I want the story I am telling with these to be very clear, so you will see them when they tell their story, and not before!
In order to not completely disappoint, here is the character from my bullying story:
Just a whimsical little girl
I may not have finished my goals for September but I learned a lot and am really excited for the next steps. I experimented with digital production of art, I tried drawing in a new style, and I have the basis for a children's book that I am excited about. I learned what I can get done in a month beyond the work I already do, I learned how to be ok with not reaching a goal, but also how to push harder to reach the next one. Overall, it's been a good learning experience.
So what is my goal for October? To finish the book of course! You might think this is ambitious, but I feel pretty confident about it. Besides, most of the brainstorming is already done! I just need to edit, rearrange, draw some more, and then add color! And even if I don't finish it, I know I will learn more about my process and what I am capable of, and that is really what it is all about.
Since I am extending my art goal for another month,  I thought I should add something new to keep it exciting. My friend Olivia (again, see her art here) found this challenge for us! It's called Inktober, and the idea is to draw (with ink) something everyday for the month of October.  It was started by an artist named Jake Parker to develop his inking skills and good drawing habits. The best part, anyone can do it! Read more about it on the facebook page. I thought since I was already trying to challenge myself to draw everyday, this was a great way to keep myself motivated! Also, there are so many talented artists already doing it, so it's a really inspiring community to be a part of. My friend Cathie is also doing it with me so I am really excited! You can see (and follow!) her page here.
So if you don't already, follow my facebook page, and on instagram (username: anneappertillustration) to see my Inktober drawings every day!
This also gave me the excuse I needed to buy a new set of pens for the challenge, plus a nifty little case to keep them in!
Plus you get to see my drawing for today!
Now I really need to get back to work since I have a lot to do. Pick up your pens and ink and start making art!

No comments:

Post a Comment